Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Theme Songs

I LOVE music and dancing. I have music playing as much as possible throughout my day and I select genres based upon how I feel or how I would like to feel. Celebration to me is: salsa. Chill and mellow is: soul or jazz. Hope and love: Motown. There is so much more! As much as I get attracted to beats on the radio and start singing along, there is inevitably a moment when I catch myself and say, "did they just say that?"From perpetuating horrible messages about your body, to promoting sexist and racist stereotypes, popular radio is not always a safe-haven for your body. I am not anti-radio, but there are times when I need more from music that popular radio is able to provide.


Awhile back I started compiling a list of my theme songs. Songs that make me feel good! Songs that if I were in a movie and the camera was focused on me walking down a busy street or jumping around on the beach like this photo ^ this theme song would be playing in the background and would reflect a bit of who I am. I encourage everyone to do this! Once you have a list you can listen to it when you want to feel really great in your body! What a wonderful gratitude practice!


Here are some off my list:

  • Lady don't tek no- Latyrx
  • Golden- Jill Scott
  • Gotta Be- Des'ree
  • Dune Methane- Hieroglyphics
  • Hate on Me- Jill Scott
  • El Cantante- Hector Lavoe
  • La Negra Tiene Tumbao- Celia Cruz
  • Bitch- Meredith Brooks
  • Yo no se mañana- Luis Enrique
  • Dontchange- Musiq Soulchild

One day I want to compile every single body/self-loving song on the planet and host a Love Guerrilla party. Sounds fun right? 

What is one of your theme songs and why? 


1 comment:

  1. My current theme music comes from Brown University's fabulous a cappella group, the Chattertocks. Latest CD titled, Waking Hours. Fabulous harmonies, fun songs, and powerful women's voices - what could be better?

    ReplyDelete